- Mar 1, 2018 · 2018 County Convention...
- Jan 1, 2018 · 2018 Iowa Caucus
- Sep 26, 2017 · 2018 Caucus Date is Set
- Sep 26, 2017 · PCRW Chili Cook Off
- Sep 11, 2017 · 50-50 in 2020 urges Iowa women...
- Jul 12, 2017 · Polk County Republican Women...
- Jul 11, 2017 · Futures Worth Fighting to...
- Jul 11, 2017 · Iowa State Fair Parade With...
Iowa House Passes Late-Term Abortion After 20 Weeks
Thu, April 6, 2017 @ 12:00 am
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The Iowa Legislature moved a step closer Wednesday to approving a stringent abortion bill that would outlaw the practice in most cases after 20 weeks of pregnancy with no exceptions for rape, incest or fatal fetal anomalies.
"Today we make a stand for our unborn girls and boys who will become men and women," said Rep. Shannon Lundgren, a Peosta Republican and the bill's floor manager. "This is the first of many bills that I hope we pass as a legislators to defend our unborn children."
By a 55-41 vote, with one Republican and all Democrats opposing the bill, lawmakers moved to make Iowa the twentieth state to enact a ban after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
The bill also would require doctors to offer a woman more details about an ultrasound, including an option to hear the heartbeat of the fetus. House Republicans said the ultrasound viewing and waiting period may persuade women to reconsider an abortion.
By LINLEY SANDERS, Associated Press
Read the full article at https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/iowa/articles/2017-04-05/iowa-house-approves-20-week-abortion-ban-returns-to-senate